Photo Courtesy of Maryland Environmental Trust
Maryland Gains Historic Easement
The Maryland Environmental Trust (MET) was recently granted a conservation easement from the American Battlefield Trust protecting a property in southern Frederick County on the eastern side of South Mountain at Crampton’s Gap. The property is located within the Crampton’s Gap Historic District, which is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Crampton’s Gap was the site of a Civil War battle that was part of the Battle of South Mountain.
The conserved tract of land is located along Mountain Church Road, a wartime farm road where the right flank of Union General William B. Franklin’s troops progressed and engaged Confederate troops under the command of General Howell Cobb on September 14, 1862. The Brandenburg property is entirely within the “core” of the battlefield. MET co-holds the conservation easement with Frederick County.